Stages of labor nursing quiz for the NCLEX exam. In your maternity class and on the NCLEX exam, you will need to know the details about the stages of labor.
It is important to know what happens in each stage, nursing interventions, and normal/abnormal findings (such as fundal height, placenta findings etc).
Don’t forget to check out our other NCLEX review quizzes for maternity.
(NOTE: When you hit submit, it will refresh this same page. Scroll down to see your results.)
Lecture on Stages of Labor
Stages of Labor NCLEX Review Quiz for Nursing
1. Stage 1 of labor includes which phases in the correct order?
A. Transition, Latent, Active
B. Active, Latent, Transition
C. Active, Transition, Latent
D. Latent, Active, Transition
2. True or False: Stage 2 of labor begins with the delivery of the baby and ends with the delivery of the placenta.
3. You’re performing a routine assessment on a mother post-delivery. The uterus is soft and displaced to the left of the umbilicus. What is your next nursing action?
A. Perform fundal massage and assist the patient to the bathroom.
B. Continue to monitor the mother. This is a normal finding post-delivery.
C. Notify the physician.
D. Administer PRN dose of Pitocin as ordered by the physician.
4. In stage 1 of labor, during the active phase, the cervix dilates?
A. 1-3 cm
B. 7-10 cm
C. 4-7 cm
D. 8-10 cm
5. What statement is FALSE about the transition phase of stage 1?
A. The mother may experience intense pain, irritation, nausea, and deep concentration.
B. The transition phase is the longest phase of stage 1 and contractions are very intense and long in duration.
C. The cervix will dilate from 8 to 10 cm.
D. The transition phase ends and progresses to stage 2 of labor when the cervix has dilated to 10 cm.
6. Your laboring patient has transitioned to stage 2 of labor. What changes in the perineum indicate the birth of the baby is imminent?
A. Increase in meconium-stained fluid and retracting perineum
B. Retracting perineum and anus with an increase of bloody show
C. Rapid and intense contractions
D. Bulging perineum and rectum with an increase in bloody show
7. True or False: Stage 4 of labor starts with the full delivery of the baby and ends with the full delivery of the placenta.
8. The mother has delivered the placenta. You note that the shiny surface of the placenta was delivered first. What delivery mechanism is this known as AND is this the maternal or baby’s surface of the placenta?
A. Duncan mechanism, maternal
B. Schultze mechanism, maternal
C. Schultze mechanism, baby
D. Duncan mechanism, baby
9. After birth, where do you expect to assess fundal height?
A. At the xiphoid process
B. 5 cm below the umbilicus
C. 2 cm above the pubic symphysis
D. At or near the umbilicus
10. During stage 3 of labor, you note a gush of blood and that the uterus changes shape from an oval shape to globular shape. This indicates?
A. Postpartum hemorrhage
B. Imminent delivery of the baby
C. Signs of placental separation
D. Answers B and C
More NCLEX Quizzes
Don’t forget to tell your friends about this quiz by sharing it your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media. You can also take more fun nursing quizzes.
*Disclaimer: While we do our best to provide students with accurate and in-depth study quizzes, this quiz/test is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Please refer to the latest NCLEX review books for the latest updates in nursing. This quiz is copyright staffordb.ru. Please do not copy this quiz directly; however, please feel free to share a link to this page with students, friends, and others.